Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day 310

Earlier this week I was presented with the opportunity to talk with a film student working on a documentary about SIDS. He was interested in interviewing parents of babies who have died of SIDS. My first instinct was to respond and say I'd do whatever I could to help and so I did.

As the week went on, I began to think of the logistics of it all. The interview was to take place this weekend. I had several prior commitments already planned. We had family coming in from out of town. I'd already signed up for a service project at church and had tickets to another function. The interview was to take place a few hours away in a neighboring state. As the details ran through my mind and I tried to figure out a way to make it all work I began to get a little nervous.

Being the worrier (and I'm not necessarily proud that I'm a worrier) that I am, I started playing the old "what if" game with myself. Of course, none of the "what if" scenerios in my head ended happily. I still didn't know exactly where I'd be going nor had I met the film students working on the project and I knew my husband was a little nervous about the whole thing.

This morning I prayed about it. I asked God to please let me know if I was making the right decision in making this trip. I prayed that the documentary would be used for good, to help give our babies a voice.

In that moment, a specific thought came to me. To make a difference, you have to step outside your comfort zone. About a week ago, I heard that message at an Inspire Women (inspirewomen.org) conference I attended. Those words were suddenly so clear in my mind that I knew I had to go. And so, with my sister as my co-pilot, I did.

I am so glad we took advantage of the opportunity with which we were presented. The interview was not easy but we met some very nice people with big hearts. If we can bring awareness to new parents and in turn help them keep their babies safe then our united efforts are so worth it.

With God's Grace, all things are possible.

1 comment: